If you have been in an automobile accident that was not your fault, some people and lawyers may tell you to hire a personal injury lawyer immediately no matter what. In fact, there are some circumstances you may be better off not hiring an attorney.
Reasons to hire a personal injury lawyer
- You are injured, and;
- You would like guidance and representation in dealing with the insurance carrier,
- You lack experience and knowledge of how to make and pursue an insurance claim,
- An insurance adjuster is aggressive or overly persistent about getting you to sign a document and you are unsure or uncomfortable,
- An insurance company or adjuster is asking for your recorded or written statement,
- You are not confident or satisfied that you have or will get a fair offer from an insurance carrier,
- You are concerned that you may not be able to get the medical treatment you may need,
- The medical providers through your health insurance plan are not quickly getting you the treatment or referrals you need,1)anything over a week during the first three months is concerning
- The injuries are significant, such as extended hospital stays, required surgeries, or similar,
- The accident involves a death, or it likely led to someone’s death.
- You feel that you are being treated unfairly by the insurance company. Insurance companies exist to make money for its owners and shareholders, not to make you happy. They may aggressively obtain all information and try to settle out of a claim before you realize what is happening, or they may ignore you in hopes that you give up. An attorney can often help you by ameliorating these bad behaviors, and occasionally, you might be able to seek compensation from the insurance company for bad treatment of you above and beyond the underlying damages from the car accident.
If you are injured after an accident, one of the most important steps is to make sure that you quickly get evaluated and immediately follow the recommendations of your medical providers and doctors. Delays or gaps in treatment create suspicion that your complaints of pain are not related to the accident, or pain is not as bad as you claim. A personal injury attorney can make sure that you get the medical treatment you need, represent you in correspondence with the insurance company, seek a settlement, and file a lawsuit when needed.
Other reasons to hire an attorney
- You appreciate what a good attorney can do for you and feel representation will increase the value of your claim.
- You dislike the idea that the executives of insurance companies and the companies themselves will profit if you do not aggressively pursue your claim. The less they pay you, the more the companies can afford to give their executives large bonuses.
Reasons not to hire an attorney
- You are not injured.
- It was clearly and without question your fault.
Of course, your case may be different and you may wish to consult with an attorney with regards to whether you should retain an attorney. This is not legal advice.
At Clear Counsel Law Group, we are experienced in handling personal injury and car accident cases, please contact us for a free consultation.
Footnotes [ + ]
|1.||↑||anything over a week during the first three months is concerning|