Eye Infection from Artificial Tears? Call Clear Counsel Law Group Today
Protect your rights today.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) are currently investigating a multistate outbreak of a drug-resistant strain of Pseudomonas aeruginosa (VIM-GES-CRPA) linked to artificial tears. If you have suffered an eye infection from artificial tears, you may be entitled to compensation. Clear Counsel Law Group is here to assist you with your legal needs during this challenging time.
Common Symptoms and Potential Complications of Artificial Tears Infections
According to the CDC, patients who have used EzriCare or Delsam Pharma’s Artificial Tears and who are experiencing symptoms of an eye infection should seek medical care immediately. The CDC suggests that symptoms of an eye infection may include:
- Yellow, green, or clear discharge from the eye
- Eye pain or discomfort
- Redness of the eye or eyelid
- Feeling of something in your eye (foreign body sensation)
- Increased sensitivity to light
- Blurry vision
As of March 14, 2023, there have been 68 reported cases of VIM-GES-CRPA in 16 states. The outbreak has led to one death, eight reports of vision loss, and four reports of enucleation (surgical removal of the eyeball). The CDC and FDA recommend stopping the use of EzriCare or Delsam Pharma’s Artificial Tears pending further guidance.
Potential Damages from an Eye Infection for Which You Might Get Compensation
If you have suffered an eye infection due to the use of artificial tears, you may be entitled to compensation for the following damages:
- Medical Expenses: These can include costs for doctor visits, hospital stays, diagnostic tests, medications, and any future medical expenses related to the eye infection.
- Pain and Suffering: This can include compensation for physical pain and emotional distress resulting from the eye infection.
- Lost Wages: If you missed work due to your eye infection, you may be entitled to compensation for lost income.
- Loss of Enjoyment of Life: This covers the impact of the eye infection on your overall quality of life and your ability to participate in activities you once enjoyed.
- Punitive Damages: In some cases, the manufacturer or distributor of the artificial tears may be found liable for negligence, and punitive damages may be awarded to punish the responsible party and deter similar conduct in the future.
How an Injury Lawyer Can Help You with an Artificial Tears Lawsuit
If you have been affected by an eye infection from artificial tears, it's essential to have a knowledgeable personal injury lawyer on your side. Clear Counsel Law Group can provide the following assistance:
- Investigating the case: Your lawyer will investigate the circumstances of your injury, including the brand of artificial tears you used and the medical treatment you received. They may work with medical experts to establish a link between your injury and the product.
- Filing a lawsuit: Your lawyer will file a lawsuit on your behalf and represent you in court. They will argue your case and negotiate with the other party to seek a fair settlement.
- Calculating damages: Your lawyer will help you calculate the damages you may be entitled to and present evidence to support your claim. They will work to ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve.
- Providing support and guidance: Going through a personal injury lawsuit can be stressful and overwhelming. Your lawyer will provide support and guidance throughout the process, helping you understand your rights and options and answering any questions you may have.
Artificial tears are a common remedy for dry eyes and other eye conditions, but recent reports suggest that they may pose a risk of infection. If you have suffered an eye infection after using artificial tears, seek medical help and call Clear Counsel Law Group right away to protect your legal rights. (702) 476-5900